One thing I have learned from living away from my parents is that I love to cook. I do not profess to be any sort of chef, but I am not too bad at following a recipe. I love getting new ideas for dinners so I thought I would share some of our favorite recipes.
These are all recipes that I have tried and that Carson and I have loved. Carson loves food but he is somewhat picky at the same time, so if a recipe is on my blog it has passed his test, which has to mean something right?
For today I will start will Carson's favorite - lasagna. This recipe is from my mom and it really is delicious, and not too complicated. One thing I like about it is that I can prepare it ahead of time and freeze or refrigerate it until I am ready to bake it.
I am also not a food photographer, but this is really what it looks like
San Francisco Lasagna
- 4 oz lasagna noodles
- 28 oz Italian style peeled tomatoes
- 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef (I use ground turkey and Carson can't tell the difference)
- 3/4 lb ricotta cheese (I use cottage cheese instead because I like the taste better, but whatever you prefer)
- 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Simmer tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, oregano, pepper, and onion salt in sauce pan.
- In skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil. Add ground beef and cook until crumbly.
- Add meat to the tomato sauce and simmer for 2 hours (you can do this uncovered for a thicker sauce or covered for a thinner sauce)
- Before the 2 hours are up for the sauce, cook the lasagna noodles as directed and run cold water through noodles after cooking.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with 1/3 of the sauce, 1/2 of the ricotta cheese, 1/3 of the mozzarella, and 1/3 of the parmesan (just estimate) and then cover with lasagna noodles.
- Repeat the process with sauce, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan and noodles.
- Finish the final layer with the last of the sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan.
- Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes, until bubbly.