Thursday, May 5, 2011

Employed

Surprise...this post isn't about Carson, (but don't worry, he still has his job) its about me! I know, weird.

I've been working as a personal care administrator (fancy wording for a CNA - certified nursing assistant) at the Courtyard at Jamestown for about four months now and I love it. It is an amazing facility with incredible staff and wonderful residents. I really do love all of the people I work with and for. I have made really great friends - both coworkers and the people I help. 

Of course the job isn't all glamorous (Carson doesn't let me share work stories at dinner anymore). I do some dirty work, but it is all forgotten when a resident tells me how much they appreciate the care I give them.

I'm sure I will be sharing some amusing work stories here from time to time (anonymous of course), but I will leave you with one that happened the other night when I was helping a male resident put on his pajamas. Because of his dementia he didn't really understand what I was doing, and when I tried to pull down his pants he stared at me with a hateful look in his face, grabbed my pants, and yelled "Fine! If you take mine off I'll take yours off! See how you like it!" And then he tried to pull my pants off. Luckily, my belt was pretty tight and he didn't succeed, but I had a good laugh about it after. 

It is these little moments and other, not so angry ones, that make me truly enjoy my job. The majority of the time. 



1 comment: