Thursday, August 25, 2011

Being a "Projecter"

When I was little I loved coloring, painting, drawing, scrapbooking, cross stitching...just creating in general. I called them my projects and I was always busy working on at least one of them. When my mom asked what I wanted to be when I grew up I would always say a projecter. You know...someone who does projects...duh. And that is all I wanted to do. My mom thought it was funny and would encourage little me, knowing that eventually I would grow out of my projecter phase (little did she know that now, thanks to the internet, people can make a living by projecting...etsy for example)

Well...I grew up and my interests changed. I still like doing projects but I also found a love for science and the human body. This summer I  have finally had a break from school, so I tapped into my old projecter self and got some things done. I have many more projects in the back of my mind (I really should write them down) but this is what I have so far. 

My mother-in-law and some of my sisters-in-law gave me a sewing machine for my bridal shower. I have never really been into sewing, but I got together with Jess and we made skirts. My first official sewing project. I have to say I am really excited about how these turned out. Let me just brag a little and say this skirt has pockets and belt loops. Not too bad for a first sewing project if I do say so myself. 

Focus on the skirt, not my face. Thanks. 

Next on my sewing list was repurposing some fabric I had leftover from covering some bulletin boards. I wanted to make a microwaveable rice bag. That was easy enough. Just a rectangle. Then I got a little creative and made a rice bag in the shape of glasses. I stuck this one in the freezer and let me tell you, it is amazing for headaches or after getting home from a hot run. I love this little guy. 


Thanks to my mom I have a lot of wreaths and other decorations to hang on my door for a variety of holidays, but I didn't have anything for the Fourth of July. So, I got some fabric, some felt, and a glue gun and made these flowers.


I used my trusty glue gun to attach them on to a twig wreath, added a patriotic bow and presto - a Fourth of July wreath. I gave some extras to my sister and she made some really cute Fourth of July headbands.


My final project so far stems from my love of cooking. I love using fresh herbs in my recipes but I don't have the money to buy them fresh at the store, so I decided to grow some of my own. Now, this is just the beginning and I am planning to expand to all different types eventually.  I started these plants in a small pot that would always tip over when the wind blew and then Carson surprised me with a large homemade, sanded, sealed, and stained planter box. I love it. It has plenty of room for a lot of plants and it doesn't tip over in the wind!

So far I have a tomato plant (that desperately needs one of those circle stands so it will stop falling over), oregano, basil, and a cayenne pepper plant. I don't have any tomatoes or peppers yet but I love the herbs. I can't wait to plant more. 


I am also impressed with myself on this one. I was always the kid in elementary school whose stupid bean plant would never grow right, so the fact that I grew all of these plants out of seeds is impressive. I still have a lot to learn about gardening and I am definitely a novice, but I am learning. 

Unfortunately, back to school means not so much time for projecting, but I will try to squeeze some of my ideas in here and there, so stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Look at you! You'll love having basil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you doing something school wise this fall??

    ReplyDelete