Friday, January 6, 2012

From the Bookshelf

One thing I have been doing a lot more of is reading. I forgot how much I enjoy reading...and I have loved jumping back into it.

First up...
I really enjoyed these crime thriller books. They are definitely for a more mature audience and have some racy parts, so be prepared if you decide to read them. Unfortunately, when they made the movie for the first book they exploited those parts and it is rated R. Sad. Anyway, the first two were my favorites. The third one was a good wrap-up, but not as good as the first two. 

Next...
Oh my goodness I cannot wait until the movie for The Hunger Games comes out. All of these books were amazing. I think the first one was my favorite, but they were all really, really good. And quick, easy reads too. I highly recommend these books to anyone who hasn't read them (but my guess is most of you have already read them and I am way behind the curve on this one).

Then...
I know, another one you have all probably read - I have a lot of catching up to do. So I really wanted to read this book before I saw the movie, but I was put on a waiting list at the library (number 141...go me!). It turns out that waiting list took months (yeah, I would rather wait months than pay what...$10 for the book...ha) so I ended up seeing the movie first. The movie was amazing and when I eventually read the book I found it followed it really well. This book isn't action and adventure like the two series above, but I was never bored with it. I loved the serious topic of fighting to fix racial inequalities. I especially like that it was written by a woman who grew up in the south with "help" of her own. 

And...
I have this thing about getting bored with listening to music all the time. I love music and all, but hearing the same songs all of the time gets old. So, instead of listening to music on my walk to school, I like to listen to audiobooks. Nerdy, I know. I decided to try a nonfiction book because I really like learning through nonfiction books, but I tend to fall asleep as I read since they are usually a little slower. But, it is kind of hard to fall asleep while walking. Perfect solution. This book took me the whole semester to finish, but it was worth it. My dad actually recommended it to me. While my mom and I have similar tastes in fiction, my dad and I have similar tastes in nonfiction. The Ghost Map is all about the cholera epidemic in London. I liked it because of the medical aspect of cholera and the in-depth description of a city I love - London (plus the tangents the author went on were really interesting too). If you like history, medicine, London (or cholera) I think you would really enjoy this book. 

Up next...

And on audiobook...


Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment